A hint of bite and a whole lot of flavor, our signature Jalapeño-infused tequila is homemade here at 89Agave Cantina. We sat down with General Manager and Tequila Extraordinaire Jordan Rogers to give us an inside look at this infusion.
11 Things To Know About Our Jalapeño-Infused Tequila
- What is the name of the infusion? Jalapeño Infusion.
- What was your inspiration in regards to infusing tequila with Jalapeno? A good blanco tequila is balanced with low spicy notes of earth and pepper, complimented by the sweetness of cooked agave. Peppers, particularly Jalapenos, pair perfectly with a good 100% agave blanco tequila.
- What is the infusion process? This one is a raw infusion. We choose the best Jalapenos, clean and slice them, then drowned them in Tequila!
- How long should the tequila be infused? 48-72 hours is perfect! It takes about 2 days to extract all of the spice out of the peppers. Infusing any longer than 3 days, and we start to compromise the crisp refreshing character of the infusion.
- What type of tequila do you use for the infusion? We always use only 100% Weber Blue Agave Tequila. There are other tequilas on the market that are made of less than 100% agave. These are called mixto tequila and they contain ingredients such as sugar cane, Carmel color, molasses, and other additives.
- Can you use different types of tequila and expect similar results? I would not recommend anything other than 100% agave Blanco tequila for this infusion. Aged tequila will bring in elements of the wood barrel, washing out the crispness of the infusion. Mixto tequila will not be clean enough to really appreciate the spice.
- In which Margaritas do you use this infused tequila? We use Jalapeno Tequila in our Jalapeno Margarita, complimented by the addition of fresh cilantro. The cilantro adds a welcoming cooling component that brings the cocktail to life, and provides a wonderful thirst quenching escape from the summer heat.
- What kind of food would you pair the tequila with? I would recommend the Jalapeño Margarita with Tacos, Carne Asada, and our Drunken Chicken.
- Can you use this infused tequila for shots? You can certainly use this tequila for shots! It might be a bit spicy on its own, so I would recommend having a beer or margarita to back it up with.
- How long have you offered this tequila at 89Agave? The Jalapeno infusion was our first and longest running infusion. Five years ago it was the only infusion that we offered. Now we usually have about 10-12 available at all times!
- Is it a guest favorite? Yes! This is one of our most popular Margaritas!
Stop into 89Agave on your next trip to Sedona and be sure to try the Jalapeño-infused tequila in a mouthwatering Jalapeño Margarita. It will make you say “Olé!”